Insight & Analysis on Seaborne Coal Market Trade Flows
July East Coast U.S. Exports
A comprehensive ‘first look’ at exports from Hampton Roads and Baltimore with data, charts and expert insight to help you understand the implications of the trends seen over a period of time.
DTC Short & Sweet: T. Parker Host released July East Coast export data and exports of 2.51 mm tons are down 19.72% seq pd and 33.13% YoY, the weakest month since July 2009. Met fell to 1.92 mm tons, down 17.70% seq pd and 29.10% YoY, while steam tumbled to 584K tons, down 25.71% seq pd and 43.67% YoY. For the first time in 10 months, India had no met shipments, though Brazil made up for the loss by nearly doubling its take from June. Breakouts by port, country, and exporter are below.
- Baltimore: 748K tons, down 34.90% seq pd and 9.01% YoY. Through July, exports total 9.00 mm tons, up 11.18% YoY and annualize to 15.49 mm tons (vs 14.21 mm tons in 2014).
o CSX’s Chesapeake Terminal: 242K tons, down 61.87% seq pd and 25.47% YoY. YTD exports total 3.66 mm tons, up 37.59% YoY and annualize to 6.30 mm tons (vs 4.45 mm tons in 2014).
o CNX Terminal: 507K tons, down 1.78% seq pd but up 1.71% YoY. YTD exports total 5.34 mm tons, down 1.75% YoY and annualize to 9.19 mm tons (vs 9.76 mm tons in 2014).
- Hampton Roads: 1.76 mm tons, down 10.88% seq pd and 39.91% YoY. Through July, exports total 17.18 mm tons, down 33.89% YoY and annualize to 29.58 mm tons (vs 40.39 mm tons in 2014).
o DTA Terminal: 698K tons, up 0.76% seq pd but down 20.16% YoY. YTD exports total 6.18 mm tons, down 26.62% YoY and annualize to 10.63 mm tons (vs 13.07 mm tons in 2014).
o Norfolk Southern’s Lamberts Point: 766K tons, up 4.46% seq pd but down 42.44% YoY. YTD exports total 7.00 mm tons, down 33.81% YoY and annualize to 12.04 mm tons (vs 16.56 mm tons in 2014).
o Kinder Morgan’s Pier IX: 293K tons, down 46.26% seq pd and 59.24% YoY. YTD exports total 4.01 mm tons, down 42.74% YoY and annualize to 6.91 mm tons (vs 10.76 mm tons in 2014).
Also included in this report:
- Regional Trends/Thermal Coal
- Regional Trends/Coking Coal
- Met/Steam Breakdown
- July East Coast Exports from Major Exporters
To read the full article, please download the PDF below.