Utility & Natural Gas Insights
Mon, December 12, 2016 8:20 am
Key Highlights for This Week:
• Palisades Nuclear Plant to Close: One of Entergy’s (ETR) nuclear plants has been saved by a last minute sale to Exelon (EXC), but decommissioning now looms for their Palisades plant in MISO. Utility news is on page 5.
• Support from Weather Continues to Lift Natural Gas: January Henry Hub futures gained another 9.0% last week, to a two-year high of $3.746/mmBtu, with a similar rise in the day-ahead market. Natural gas market coverage starts on page 12.
• ISO NE Power Prices Up 69% WoW: Higher natural gas prices lead to average on-peak power prices of $55 - $56/MWh across the ISO NE grid last week, a 69.3% increase from the week prior. ISO data and power prices begin on page 36.
o The average Spark spread rose 8.6% WoW to $9.18/MWh.
o The average Dark spread rose 71.7% WoW to $14.41/MWh.
• Bitter Cold to Ease by Christmas: Brutally cold arctic air will keep temperatures exceptionally frigid in the Northern US through next weekend, but a return to more normal temperatures is expected by Christmas. National weather begins on page 29, and our natural gas-focused degree day data is on page 22.
• If there is a topic you would like included in subsequent editions, please send Sherry an email: email@example.com.