Utility & Natural Gas Insights
Mon, March 20, 2017 9:02 am
Key Highlights for This Week:
• DP&L Gets PUCO Staff On Board: An amended stipulated agreement filed with the Public Utility Commission of Ohio (PUCO) was signed by PUCO staff, a significant advancement from the prior version. Utility news begins on page 5.
• Natural Gas Price Response to Cold Limited: Last week’s winter storm gave gas prices a lift, but futures are already trending back down on expectations that mild weather is around the corner. April 2017 Henry Hub futures fell 2.0% WoW, dropping them back below $3/mmBtu. Natural gas market coverage starts on page 12.
• Falling Wind Gen Bumps Up Coal in MISO & SPP: Last week’s cold spell was accompanied by much lower wind generation in the central US, which boosted both power prices and demand for coal. Electric power market data begins on page 36.
o The average Spark spread rose 533.6% WoW to $11.92/MWh.
o The average Dark spread rose 41.1% WoW to $8.81/MWh.
• Cold Lingers in Northeast as Central US Warms: The first week of spring is likely to feel more like winter in New England, but like early summer in the central US. National weather begins on page 29, and our natural gas-focused degree day data is on page 22.
• If there is a topic you would like included in subsequent editions, please send Sherry an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.